Tong Sui For Chinese New Year

Posted by mamabok | Amusing/Bizarre,Chinese | Sunday 25 January 2009 11:43 pm

When you are where I am for Chinese New Year.. where there are less than 10 asians around your area.. the size of Singapore.. there is really nothing you can do for Chinese New Year.  if i asked my neighbours if they knew when Chinese New Year is .. they probably look at me..  as if i was speaking greek with them.

The brat is sick.. and so was I, I had wanted to get the Chinese restaurant to do a duck for me.. but since the brat was sick.. we had no babysitter.. she was sick too.. the only thing i did was this pot of tong sui.  I remember my mother used to make this. .on special occasions and Chinese New Year.  It’s easy.. and this time.. the longan i had was a superior quality.. and it’s awesome.. no need for any sugar at all.  Well.. beggars cannot be choosers hor.. so i make do lor.  Nope.. the man donch drink it.. neither would the brat.. so i probably have to bring some to Mr Choo from the Chinese restaurant and share it with him.

GONG HEI FATT CHOY EVERYONE..!!

1. Comment by shannon — January 26, 2009 @ 12:09 am

Hi Mama Bok – I totally know what you mean, even though I myself have never personally experienced the atmosphere of new year’s in asia. I was born and raised in the US, but I always knew I was missing out during CNY. And I went to school in an area that had 0 asians, so our comment about taking the soup to Mr. Choo cracked me up!!! It does look delicious!

2. Comment by joyce — January 26, 2009 @ 4:34 am

Oh my! Your blog makes me so hungry…now im gona make myself some food XD

3. Comment by Summer — January 26, 2009 @ 6:33 pm

Can you post the recipe of this Tong Sui? I want to try to make it. Thanks.

4. Comment by Ellen — January 26, 2009 @ 11:23 pm

LOL mama bok! I hear you. I just moved to an area where there are no Asians at all and being married to a non-Asian doesn’t help either. Your tong sui looks yummy. Atleast you can fine a chinese restaurant to make a duck for you. If I asked for a duck, the people around here will think I am nuts! Gung Hay Fat Choy!

5. Comment by Tsuchiyama — January 27, 2009 @ 12:37 am

Oh I love Tong sui .I were brought up in Hong Kong till the age of six.
    I love all Chinese food. I love Singapore, HK. If we have a chance in future, we might think of imigrating to Singapore but I heard from my Japanese friends over there that it is not easy to be a PR in Singapore.
    Well,No Lunar New Year festive mood in Japan. But I had steamboat (Taiwan style ) with my husband on New Year Eve (celebration for Chinese Lunar New Year). By the way, Mama Bok are you a good chef?

6. Comment by Carmen — January 28, 2009 @ 12:23 am

hi, ive had food poisoning for 3 days now and the thought of food makes me sick, but this tong sui looks soo delicious! can i get the recipe?! thankkss =)

7. Comment by chan sebastian — January 28, 2009 @ 1:03 am

Mama Bok

How on earth did you get all the ingredients for the tong sui? Did you substitute some of the ingredients? Also, pls do share this recipe.
    Kiong Hee Huat Chai as they say in Singapore.

Regards
    Chan

8. Comment by Laura — January 28, 2009 @ 1:13 am

Nice!! I totally love your blog! I miss Chinese New Year in Asia too!!! There is not much CNY atmosphere in where I live either – although I do live in San Francisco Bay Area, where there are lots of Asians!!

9. Comment by flora — January 28, 2009 @ 5:32 am

I LOVE DESERT HEHE dat bowl of desert lookz really yummy i like lychee n logan alot they r yummy hehe i dun like da red thingy dat much tho dunno da english name

10. Comment by babe_kl — January 28, 2009 @ 6:22 am

Hi Mamabok, that’s a very auspicious tong shui indeed. May the year of Ox bring you all the happiness, good fortune, health and prosperity you wish for.

11. Comment by beckysmum — January 28, 2009 @ 7:34 am

I also interested to know the recipe of this tong sui!

12. Comment by Tsuchiyama — January 28, 2009 @ 11:23 pm

Ya I think it might be difficult to get all the ingredients in Japan to make Tong sui (sigh..)

13. Comment by uj — January 29, 2009 @ 4:57 am

Bak Kor Long Ngan and Hong Zou (red dates). Yummy… normally i cook barley :P Happy cny to u ya.. too bad your other and kid dun drink. It’s very nice….

14. Comment by Eva — January 29, 2009 @ 9:22 pm

There is no mood for CNY in Japan at all. I miss the CNY atmosphere in Toronto. I made the “white radish cake”,
    This year was my first time to give lucky money to my son. I made him to say a lot of greeting phrases with funny pronunciation. He only got Japanese lucky money for the past six years.

15. Comment by Denise — January 31, 2009 @ 6:57 am

Hello, Happy Chinese New Year!
    I hope you and your daughter will recover from the sickness soon.
    I have been watching the videos that you uploaded in the “Crazy Chinese Women” since 3 months ago. I am sorry that I have never left you a message / support until now. I really appreciate all your afford.
    Also, this dessert looks really good, may I ask how did you make that?
    once again, hope you & your family all the best for 2009!

16. Comment by tracy — April 8, 2009 @ 10:30 am

hihi, mama bok^.^ hapi birthday o~~ selamat harijadi, sheng ri kuai le,
    ALL birthday greeting from 75 countries~!!!

Afrikaans Veels geluk met jou verjaarsdag!
    Albanian Urime ditelindjen!
    Arabic Eid milaad saeed!
    Armenian Taredartzet shnorhavor!
    Austrian Ois guade winsch i dia zum Gbuadsdog!
    Basque (N. Spain) Zorionak!
    Bengali Shuvo Jonmodin!
    Brazil Parabéns a você
    Bulgarian Chestit Rojden Den!
    Cambodian Som owie nek mein aryouk yrinyu!
    Catalan Bon aniversari!
    Cantonese Sun Yat Fai Lok!
    Croatian Sretan Rodendan!
    Czech Vsechno nejlepsi k Tvym narozeninam!!
    Danish Tillykke med fodselsdagen!
    Dutch Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!
    English Happy Birthday!
    Estonian Palju onne sunnipaevaks!
    Farsi Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Finnish Hyvaa syntymapaivaa!
    French (Canada) Bonne Fete!
    French Joyeux Anniversaire!
    Gaelic (Irish) Lá breithe mhaith agat!
    Gaelic (Scottish) Co` latha breith sona dhuibh!
    Galician (Spain) Ledicia no teu cumpreanos!
    Georgian Gilotcav dabadebis dges!
    German Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
    Greek Eytyxismena Genethlia! or Chronia Pola!
    Greenlandic Inuuinni pilluarit!
    Hawaiian Hau`oli la hanau!
    Hebrew Yom Huledet Same’ach!
    Hindi (India) Janam Din ki badhai!
    Hungarian Boldog szuletesnapot! or Isten eltessen!
    Icelandic Til hamingju med afmaelisdaginn!
    Indonesian Selamat Ulang Tahun!
    Italian Buon Compleanno!
    Japanese Otanjou-bi Omedetou Gozaimasu!
    Korean Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da!
    Kurdish Rojbun a te piroz be!
    Latin Fortuna dies natalis!
    Latvian Daudz laimes dzimsanas diena!
    Luxembourgeois Vill Gleck fir daei Geburtsdaag!
    Mandarin qu ni sheng er kuai le
    Macedonian Sreken roden den!
    Malaysian Selamat Hari Jadi!
    Maltese Nifrahlek ghal gheluq sninek!
    Mongolian Torson odriin mend hurgee!
    Navajo bil hoozho bi’dizhchi-neeji’ ‘aneilkaah!
    Nepali Janma dhin ko Subha kamana!
    Norwegian Gratulerer med dagen!
    Pashtun (Afghanistan) Padayish rawaz day unbaraksha!
    Persian Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Polish Wszystkiego Najlepszego!
    Portuguese(Brazil) Parabens pelo seu aniversario!
    Portuguese Feliz Aniversario! or Parabens!
    Punjabi (India) Janam din diyan wadhayian!
    Romanian La Multi Ani!
    Russian S dniom razhdjenia!
    Samoan Manuia lou aso fanau!
    Serbian Srecan Rodjendan!
    Slovak Vsetko najlepsie k narodeninam!
    Slovene Vse najboljse za rojstni dan!
    Spanish Feliz Cumpleaños!
    Sri Lankan Suba Upan dinayak vewa!
    Sundanese Wilujeng Tepang Taun!
    Surinam Mi fresteri ju!
    Swahili Hongera! or Heri ya Siku kuu!
    Swedish Grattis på födelsedagen
    Taiwanese San leaz quiet lo!
    Thai Suk San Wan Keut!
    Tibetan Droonkher Tashi Delek!
    Turkish Dogum gunun kutlu olsun!
    Ukrainian Mnohiya lita!
    Vietnamese Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat!
    Welsh Penblwydd Hapus i Chi!
    Yiddish A Freilekhn Gebortstog!
    Zulu Ilanga elimndandi kuwe!

17. Comment by Stephanie — April 9, 2009 @ 5:51 am