For Days Of Freezing Rain – Home Made Red Bean Soup

Posted by mamabok | Cakes/Desserts,Chinese,Food From Home | Friday 20 February 2009 2:55 am

So what do one eat .. during days of freezing rain..?? and yes.. we had freezing rain . and winter storm yesterday.. and to keep safe.. we didn’t wanna drive to the store.. and open the store.. and risked our lives.  So what I did was cooked red bean soup.. easy peasy.. and donch even cost me more than $1.50 for a big pot of it.  I threw everything into the slow cooker with some orange peel.. and when it was boiling .. i put in the cane sugar.. and then some sago.. and stirred every now and then.  Darn easy lah. .i tell yer. I didn’t have any white nuts.. else i will add it in.. while it is boiling too.  You can also consider putting “tong yuen” .. when you are ready to eat.

Back home..it’s so easy to just buy a bowl for $1 or $0.50 cents.. so i never ever learned to cook it.. but since i’m in a foreign land.. no choice lor..  :(  wanna eat.. gotta cook yourself.  Can you imagine.. how reach the dessert aunties and uncles are..?? so cheap.. the ingredients.. and sell so ex to us.. no wonder they can drive Mercedes lah and have expensive doggies and pet beds special ordered.

1. Comment by Tsuchiyama — February 20, 2009 @ 3:44 am

mama bok, I like both red and green beans soup . Mama,you are a amazing good cook. Thank you for all the uploading.

2. Comment by b_lui — February 20, 2009 @ 4:21 am

yummy!! I tried making red bean soup myself once…didn’t turn out too good. I like the beans really mushy.

3. Comment by flora — February 20, 2009 @ 4:45 am

i like green beanz soup better den red beanz soup.but i do like red bean ice cream,n taro-redbean bubble tea yummy

4. Comment by bargainermom — February 20, 2009 @ 5:17 am

Mamabok,

Does Chloe like to drink this? This is such a delicious dessert and healthy for her..good for females…which reminds me to make it tomorrow for my family…since we r in foreign land. Thanks for a reminder of such delicious dessert forgotten sometimes when we are out of touch with food from home.

5. Comment by Queenny — February 20, 2009 @ 5:30 am

I like red bean soup because red bean is good for our blood circulation n the green bean soup is to cool down our body :D I prefer red bean mayb bcoz of in penang malaysia got one shop red bean soup very yummy :D by the way mamabok picture make me hungry :D…

6. Comment by Kammy — February 20, 2009 @ 9:36 pm

Mama Bok, appreciate your effort to upload sooooooo many new shows recently…. amazing efficient too.

7. Comment by Fiona — February 20, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

Mama Bok, great idea for dessert. It’s always nice to have some ‘tong shui’ even when you are far away from home… I try my best to cook some too.

8. Comment by Celine — February 20, 2009 @ 10:15 pm

Mama Bok,
    I like red soup very much but I don’t like orange peel.
    Always thank you for uploading all amazing shows for all of us.
    regards.

9. Comment by cs — February 20, 2009 @ 10:42 pm

Mamabok,
    I like this dessert too but I put crystal rock sugar. The sweetness is different than cane sugar.Really appreciate you
    uploading all these shows and so quickly.

10. Comment by uj — February 21, 2009 @ 12:04 am

Lol… shhhh… dun tell them the “special” ingredients and procedure la.. else everyone will cook it themselves liao. How to open my own stall if everyone knows how to cook? :P

I still prefer Pak Gor Yi Mai (barley with ginko), Yong Ji Kum Lou (pamelo flesh with ….?) and also normal dried longan drink ;)

11. Comment by Amy Chia — February 21, 2009 @ 12:54 am

Unable to make the fancy red bean soup…mine is just simple read beans and the cane sugar. Beggars can’t be choosy when you are living in a place where there is no hawker food.

12. Comment by gracie — February 21, 2009 @ 11:32 am

mama bok, i love all kinds of “tong shi” too. Thanks for putting the links up so fast. best regards!!

13. Comment by keen — February 21, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

Your “tong Sui” looks yummy……gonna make for my family too. Here in KL a packet is selling for $2.00 at the roadside stall.

Mang thanks for uploading all those lovely shows. God bless you & your family.

14. Comment by Jenny — February 21, 2009 @ 5:36 pm

Thanks for the uploads MamaBok.

Love “tong sui” too. Just had me some “Yueng Gee Gum Lo” yesterday at some chinese restaurant. Can you post up a recipe for that?

Thanks!

15. Comment by PK — February 22, 2009 @ 12:25 am

Hi Mama Bok,

The red bean soup looks awesome! Inspire me to make some now!

I feel for u.When I was in Switzerland, had the same prob. Not many Chinese groceries around and if they do, they only sell v basic stuff. But u can always check out http://www.kuali.com website as they have alot of nice Malaysian food. V authentic!

16. Comment by Anna — February 22, 2009 @ 12:41 am

red beans on shaved ice with condensed sweetened milk!!!!!!!!

17. Comment by whoisbaby — February 22, 2009 @ 3:27 am

woooh … i like red bean soup. but my husband doesnt like it. so i only make it when i really craving for it. or else no point that just me to finish the whole pot.

18. Comment by tinki — February 22, 2009 @ 5:54 am

thank you for all the movies. I like the oyster cake, do you have the receipe for it.

19. Comment by laura — February 22, 2009 @ 6:25 am

mama bok,
    i love chinese desserts too! esp anything that has red beans in it!

20. Comment by HN — February 22, 2009 @ 1:57 pm

Dear Mamabok, you wrote what my heart wanna says… Even ‘tong shui’ have to cook at home in this foreign land :)

21. Comment by Evelyn — February 22, 2009 @ 7:29 pm

mama bok,

totally agree with u on the tong shui. red bean soup is good. continue to upload and provide us with fun :) thanks again

22. Comment by Lina — February 22, 2009 @ 7:46 pm

Hey mama, my hub loves red bean soup. Will surprise him this weekend. I’ll use ‘ping tong’ was told it is much much better then normal sugar. Thanks for all the upload for the shows. Deeply appreciate it very very much!! Cheers….:-)

23. Comment by Leanne — February 24, 2009 @ 1:23 am

does anybody know the recipe for the red bean jelly?
    i really like that but i can never find out how to make it :(

24. Comment by becca — February 24, 2009 @ 9:41 am

lol, im not a big fan of red bean and green bean stuff
    maybe its from childhood memories haha xD

25. Comment by joyce — February 25, 2009 @ 11:31 pm

lol, guess what, I really don’t know any kind of “tong sui” beside red bean tong sui. i cook red bean tong sui all the time and my girls love it and also my hubby. I actually just cooked few days ago red beans, tapioca and lotus nut thing. we have friends over and they like it. it’s actually healthy, you should try to make your hubby eat it.

26. Comment by Lynn — March 6, 2009 @ 3:32 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Will try this weekend.

27. Comment by Edwind — March 6, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

mama bok, your blog always made me hungry!

28. Comment by crazyone2 — March 7, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

Hey Mamabok,how’s your weekend starting? I looked through some of your food blogs (not about giving face lah). But I do like some of the stuff there. For one who dounch usually cook, this easy red bean soup looks easy & nutritious to me. But then cook for 2 errr…. quite a waste leh

Keep up all your good stuff and sharing the shows! You are just AWESOME!!!

29. Comment by jess — March 8, 2009 @ 10:50 am

this is my favourite!

30. Comment by sweetness in the tooth — March 9, 2009 @ 5:24 pm

those saliva juices just can’t get enough of the red bean tong sui, a touch of ginger or even some sweet potato or taro is good too!!!!

31. Comment by margaret — March 12, 2009 @ 10:31 pm

Hi Mamabok,

The red bean tong shui looks so delicious and yummie. I was craving for momo cha-cha, (I don’t know if I spelled it right). Do you know how to make that? Can you post or find a recipe? Pretty please.. :D

Plus love all the food episodes you upload. Thanks!!

32. Comment by tracy — April 8, 2009 @ 10:06 am

hihi, mama bok^.^ hapi birthday o~~ selamat harijadi, sheng ri kuai le,
    ALL birthday greeting from 75 countries~!!!

Afrikaans Veels geluk met jou verjaarsdag!
    Albanian Urime ditelindjen!
    Arabic Eid milaad saeed!
    Armenian Taredartzet shnorhavor!
    Austrian Ois guade winsch i dia zum Gbuadsdog!
    Basque (N. Spain) Zorionak!
    Bengali Shuvo Jonmodin!
    Brazil Parabéns a você
    Bulgarian Chestit Rojden Den!
    Cambodian Som owie nek mein aryouk yrinyu!
    Catalan Bon aniversari!
    Cantonese Sun Yat Fai Lok!
    Croatian Sretan Rodendan!
    Czech Vsechno nejlepsi k Tvym narozeninam!!
    Danish Tillykke med fodselsdagen!
    Dutch Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!
    English Happy Birthday!
    Estonian Palju onne sunnipaevaks!
    Farsi Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Finnish Hyvaa syntymapaivaa!
    French (Canada) Bonne Fete!
    French Joyeux Anniversaire!
    Gaelic (Irish) Lá breithe mhaith agat!
    Gaelic (Scottish) Co` latha breith sona dhuibh!
    Galician (Spain) Ledicia no teu cumpreanos!
    Georgian Gilotcav dabadebis dges!
    German Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
    Greek Eytyxismena Genethlia! or Chronia Pola!
    Greenlandic Inuuinni pilluarit!
    Hawaiian Hau`oli la hanau!
    Hebrew Yom Huledet Same’ach!
    Hindi (India) Janam Din ki badhai!
    Hungarian Boldog szuletesnapot! or Isten eltessen!
    Icelandic Til hamingju med afmaelisdaginn!
    Indonesian Selamat Ulang Tahun!
    Italian Buon Compleanno!
    Japanese Otanjou-bi Omedetou Gozaimasu!
    Korean Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da!
    Kurdish Rojbun a te piroz be!
    Latin Fortuna dies natalis!
    Latvian Daudz laimes dzimsanas diena!
    Luxembourgeois Vill Gleck fir daei Geburtsdaag!
    Mandarin qu ni sheng er kuai le
    Macedonian Sreken roden den!
    Malaysian Selamat Hari Jadi!
    Maltese Nifrahlek ghal gheluq sninek!
    Mongolian Torson odriin mend hurgee!
    Navajo bil hoozho bi’dizhchi-neeji’ ‘aneilkaah!
    Nepali Janma dhin ko Subha kamana!
    Norwegian Gratulerer med dagen!
    Pashtun (Afghanistan) Padayish rawaz day unbaraksha!
    Persian Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Polish Wszystkiego Najlepszego!
    Portuguese(Brazil) Parabens pelo seu aniversario!
    Portuguese Feliz Aniversario! or Parabens!
    Punjabi (India) Janam din diyan wadhayian!
    Romanian La Multi Ani!
    Russian S dniom razhdjenia!
    Samoan Manuia lou aso fanau!
    Serbian Srecan Rodjendan!
    Slovak Vsetko najlepsie k narodeninam!
    Slovene Vse najboljse za rojstni dan!
    Spanish Feliz Cumpleaños!
    Sri Lankan Suba Upan dinayak vewa!
    Sundanese Wilujeng Tepang Taun!
    Surinam Mi fresteri ju!
    Swahili Hongera! or Heri ya Siku kuu!
    Swedish Grattis på födelsedagen
    Taiwanese San leaz quiet lo!
    Thai Suk San Wan Keut!
    Tibetan Droonkher Tashi Delek!
    Turkish Dogum gunun kutlu olsun!
    Ukrainian Mnohiya lita!
    Vietnamese Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat!
    Welsh Penblwydd Hapus i Chi!
    Yiddish A Freilekhn Gebortstog!
    Zulu Ilanga elimndandi kuwe!

33. Comment by bunessa — April 8, 2009 @ 4:21 pm

my mummie makes red bean popsicles for winter!! =D

34. Comment by Stephanie — April 9, 2009 @ 5:46 am

Yes, so simple to make. They make a fortune selling it for so much. Red beans are my favorite dessert bean.