Lotus Root

Posted by mamabok | Chinese,Cooking,Food From Home,Slow Cooking | Wednesday 25 February 2009 6:35 pm

It is not easy for me to get lotus roots here in Nova Scotia.  I have to take a 4hrs car ride to the city.. to get some .. and even then.. the lotus roots look horrid.  If I order them. .and get a courier service to bring some chinese food down from the asian grocery store.. you can bet that the lady boss will give me stuff that are either expired.. or about to rot.. like these lotus roots.  But I’m at her mercy. .and take whatever that i can get .. and make the best outta it.

If you are thinking of migrating.. or kahwin cowboy.. like myself.. you better think again.. because you won’t get the kinda food you can get from home easily.. and you will definitely get home sick.  Love or no love.. you are gonna start resenting.. if you cannot go home frequently for a visit.. or get food from home easily.  So .. either move to a chinese city in ang moh land.. or marry someone RICH..!!!  ok.. ok.. not rich.. but at least can afford to let you go home every 2 years.. and NOT OWNING THEIR OWN BUSINESS..!!!

1. Comment by joyce — February 25, 2009 @ 11:25 pm

uh no, can’t believe you can live there for so many years, I’ve been grown up in Toronto where there are so many many Asians especially Chinese and Vietnamese and now I’m married to my hubby and live here in Marlborough, MA like 45 mins away from Boston, MA. We have to go to Boston every weekend for Asian food market, but let me tell ya, they have almost everything here so I think we’re lucky enough.

2. Comment by mommy to chumsy — February 26, 2009 @ 12:58 am

ROTFL!!!!

3. Comment by snow — February 26, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

mama bok, same here. 6 months in a foreign land and oredi i’m home sick for authentic chinese food. I get limited raw chinese stuff where I stay and the food by chinese restaurant here is ok for ‘ang moh’ taste only…lack the aroma. wanna eat “char siew”, “har min”, fried kuey teow n laksa? in my dreams more likely. =(

4. Comment by whoisbaby — February 26, 2009 @ 4:56 pm

aiyo … have to drive 4 hrs to the city. so far away.

5. Comment by Celine — February 26, 2009 @ 11:45 pm

Hi Mama bok,
    I love lotus root very much and its very easy to find nice one in Toronto.
    thanks again for your time to give us the chance to watch all these TV shows.
    Best regards.

6. Comment by flora — February 27, 2009 @ 3:11 am

I LOVE LOTUS ROOT THEY R SOOO yummy heheh l love it in soup my parents alwayz makez me lotus root soup cuz they know i love lotus root heheh

7. Comment by queen c — February 27, 2009 @ 5:11 am

Mama Bok i did not know nova scotia did not have chinese grocery stores.. omg.. that really does suck. i feel for you. you drove 4 hours.. wow!!

8. Comment by shirleyloo — February 27, 2009 @ 7:15 am

omg!!! really 4 hours drive to get just lotus root??? to n fro will be 8 hours & thats the working hours for me!!! really salute you … ;-D

9. Comment by Shyoon — February 28, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

Mama Bok, 4 hrs drive to the nearest Asian Grocery store is nightmare leh. i suggest you open up a small asian store at Nova Scotia, and start important some real asian food. At least could use for own consumption it no business lor.. haha.. Any way, Lin Ngau (lotus root) are yummy yummy, especially lotus root, peanut, corn soup… my favourite ..

10. Comment by linyliny88 — March 6, 2009 @ 1:39 pm

I love lotus root soup too! I love stir fry as well.

11. Comment by brat — March 7, 2009 @ 12:08 pm

lotus root soup….yummy!

12. Comment by tracy — April 8, 2009 @ 9:52 am

hihi, mama bok^.^ hapi birthday o~~ selamat harijadi, sheng ri kuai le,
    ALL birthday greeting from 75 countries~!!!

Afrikaans Veels geluk met jou verjaarsdag!
    Albanian Urime ditelindjen!
    Arabic Eid milaad saeed!
    Armenian Taredartzet shnorhavor!
    Austrian Ois guade winsch i dia zum Gbuadsdog!
    Basque (N. Spain) Zorionak!
    Bengali Shuvo Jonmodin!
    Brazil Parabéns a você
    Bulgarian Chestit Rojden Den!
    Cambodian Som owie nek mein aryouk yrinyu!
    Catalan Bon aniversari!
    Cantonese Sun Yat Fai Lok!
    Croatian Sretan Rodendan!
    Czech Vsechno nejlepsi k Tvym narozeninam!!
    Danish Tillykke med fodselsdagen!
    Dutch Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!
    English Happy Birthday!
    Estonian Palju onne sunnipaevaks!
    Farsi Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Finnish Hyvaa syntymapaivaa!
    French (Canada) Bonne Fete!
    French Joyeux Anniversaire!
    Gaelic (Irish) Lá breithe mhaith agat!
    Gaelic (Scottish) Co` latha breith sona dhuibh!
    Galician (Spain) Ledicia no teu cumpreanos!
    Georgian Gilotcav dabadebis dges!
    German Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
    Greek Eytyxismena Genethlia! or Chronia Pola!
    Greenlandic Inuuinni pilluarit!
    Hawaiian Hau`oli la hanau!
    Hebrew Yom Huledet Same’ach!
    Hindi (India) Janam Din ki badhai!
    Hungarian Boldog szuletesnapot! or Isten eltessen!
    Icelandic Til hamingju med afmaelisdaginn!
    Indonesian Selamat Ulang Tahun!
    Italian Buon Compleanno!
    Japanese Otanjou-bi Omedetou Gozaimasu!
    Korean Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da!
    Kurdish Rojbun a te piroz be!
    Latin Fortuna dies natalis!
    Latvian Daudz laimes dzimsanas diena!
    Luxembourgeois Vill Gleck fir daei Geburtsdaag!
    Mandarin qu ni sheng er kuai le
    Macedonian Sreken roden den!
    Malaysian Selamat Hari Jadi!
    Maltese Nifrahlek ghal gheluq sninek!
    Mongolian Torson odriin mend hurgee!
    Navajo bil hoozho bi’dizhchi-neeji’ ‘aneilkaah!
    Nepali Janma dhin ko Subha kamana!
    Norwegian Gratulerer med dagen!
    Pashtun (Afghanistan) Padayish rawaz day unbaraksha!
    Persian Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Polish Wszystkiego Najlepszego!
    Portuguese(Brazil) Parabens pelo seu aniversario!
    Portuguese Feliz Aniversario! or Parabens!
    Punjabi (India) Janam din diyan wadhayian!
    Romanian La Multi Ani!
    Russian S dniom razhdjenia!
    Samoan Manuia lou aso fanau!
    Serbian Srecan Rodjendan!
    Slovak Vsetko najlepsie k narodeninam!
    Slovene Vse najboljse za rojstni dan!
    Spanish Feliz Cumpleaños!
    Sri Lankan Suba Upan dinayak vewa!
    Sundanese Wilujeng Tepang Taun!
    Surinam Mi fresteri ju!
    Swahili Hongera! or Heri ya Siku kuu!
    Swedish Grattis på födelsedagen
    Taiwanese San leaz quiet lo!
    Thai Suk San Wan Keut!
    Tibetan Droonkher Tashi Delek!
    Turkish Dogum gunun kutlu olsun!
    Ukrainian Mnohiya lita!
    Vietnamese Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat!
    Welsh Penblwydd Hapus i Chi!
    Yiddish A Freilekhn Gebortstog!
    Zulu Ilanga elimndandi kuwe!

13. Comment by bunessa — April 8, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

woot lotus!!!
    i love to eat it after it has been boiled in soup!!

14. Comment by Stephanie — April 9, 2009 @ 5:43 am

Lotus root is the best. Very versatile. Love it in soups and stir fry.