Congee aka Porridge

Posted by mamabok | Awesome,Chinese,Food From Home | Monday 16 March 2009 2:26 am

The “ang mohs’ donch know what porridge is.  If you say .. you are eating porridge … they would think i was crazy.. because porridge is actually oatmeal here.  You have to say “congee” but there is no “congee” to be sold in the chinese restaurant here.  But if you are friends with the Chinese restaurant owner.. like i am.. with Mr Choo & his wife… you get priviledges.

So the other day, I got a call from Mr Choo asking if I want some porridge.. and i said i do .. and he just came and sent it over.  It’s some kinda salted meat.. i think.. in the porridge.. with some spring onions.

Some ginger in the porridge.. which is a must .. because like my mom used to say. .porridge gives the tummy lots of wind.  And old woman like me.. cannot have too much wind eh… muahhahaha!!

Some dried scallops in the porridge as well.  Yummy..!!!  Porridge isn’t difficult to cook.  Usually i soak the rice over night.. and then put them in the slow cooker and cook it for 4hrs or so.  Pork is what i use most of the time but once it starts boiling.. i put in sesame oil as well.  When you are ready to eat.. just put in a dash or two.. of pepper.  Oh .. donch forget to add a dash or two of salt too.   Thanks to Mr Choo .. i donch have to cook a big pot of porridge .. and eat them all myself.

1. Comment by Betsy — March 19, 2009 @ 4:44 am

i usually like mine with thousand year old egg. I like how it looks thick in your pictures, i hate it when the porridge is a too runny because it doesnt seem as filling. its quite a good alternative to western breakfast.

2. Comment by Lina — March 19, 2009 @ 4:47 am

Porridge is one of my fave! Be it lean meat,dried scallop with century egg, slice beef, slice fish, cuttlefish with braised peanuts… (drooling)..yummy!! ;-)

3. Comment by snow — March 19, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

hahaha…mama bok, same experience here regarding porridge = oatmeal only it’s the other way round for me. I had been in uk only for a few days when my flatmate said that she’s having porridge for breakfast. I was surprised (and scratching head as well) cos where got time to cook porridge before morning classes? and then she whip out her oatmeal and microware it. lol….only then i realised porride = oatmeal in western countries.

at home, congee means thick porridge that u get at tim sum restaurant and porridge is those runny type that u get at normal restaurant. I like both!

4. Comment by flora — March 19, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

i lovee congee is sooo yummy.wen i’m not feelin good n dun want to eat anythin els my parents makez me congee

5. Comment by princeton — March 20, 2009 @ 9:23 am

your food blog is making me hungry :)

6. Comment by kk — March 20, 2009 @ 10:05 am

Yummy but i find it really hard to cook.. i like to buy just plain congee then cut up thousand year old egg and mix it in with some spring onions and a little bit of pork floss on top for show.. pity the chinese restaurants are sooo far away otherwise i will be there in a flash

7. Comment by CC — March 20, 2009 @ 11:45 am

Whenever I’m not feeling well, I’ll have my dad make it for me. :]
    I love it with any type of egg and definitely dried scallops. The best part though, would have to be the spring onions. I have to have it in my congee every time.
    When I was in China a long time ago, for vacation, the residents of the village I was living in would either have congee or rice rolls ‘cheung fun’ for breakfast…I thought it was weird that something I had every so often was like a normal food for them!

8. Comment by mina mong — March 20, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

Your daughter very cute making cookie.

9. Comment by Cindy — March 22, 2009 @ 2:47 am

hahaha I just made some jok (porridge) today… Have you try the black duck eggs with pork (pay dan sow yok jok) if i spell that right…

10. Comment by Jenny — March 29, 2009 @ 4:15 am

I too love jook, especially the fish filet one with shredded pieces of ginger it.

11. Comment by tracy — April 8, 2009 @ 8:35 am

hihi, mama bok^.^ hapi birthday o~~ selamat harijadi, sheng ri kuai le,
    ALL birthday greeting from 75 countries~!!!

Afrikaans Veels geluk met jou verjaarsdag!
    Albanian Urime ditelindjen!
    Arabic Eid milaad saeed!
    Armenian Taredartzet shnorhavor!
    Austrian Ois guade winsch i dia zum Gbuadsdog!
    Basque (N. Spain) Zorionak!
    Bengali Shuvo Jonmodin!
    Brazil Parabéns a você
    Bulgarian Chestit Rojden Den!
    Cambodian Som owie nek mein aryouk yrinyu!
    Catalan Bon aniversari!
    Cantonese Sun Yat Fai Lok!
    Croatian Sretan Rodendan!
    Czech Vsechno nejlepsi k Tvym narozeninam!!
    Danish Tillykke med fodselsdagen!
    Dutch Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!
    English Happy Birthday!
    Estonian Palju onne sunnipaevaks!
    Farsi Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Finnish Hyvaa syntymapaivaa!
    French (Canada) Bonne Fete!
    French Joyeux Anniversaire!
    Gaelic (Irish) Lá breithe mhaith agat!
    Gaelic (Scottish) Co` latha breith sona dhuibh!
    Galician (Spain) Ledicia no teu cumpreanos!
    Georgian Gilotcav dabadebis dges!
    German Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
    Greek Eytyxismena Genethlia! or Chronia Pola!
    Greenlandic Inuuinni pilluarit!
    Hawaiian Hau`oli la hanau!
    Hebrew Yom Huledet Same’ach!
    Hindi (India) Janam Din ki badhai!
    Hungarian Boldog szuletesnapot! or Isten eltessen!
    Icelandic Til hamingju med afmaelisdaginn!
    Indonesian Selamat Ulang Tahun!
    Italian Buon Compleanno!
    Japanese Otanjou-bi Omedetou Gozaimasu!
    Korean Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da!
    Kurdish Rojbun a te piroz be!
    Latin Fortuna dies natalis!
    Latvian Daudz laimes dzimsanas diena!
    Luxembourgeois Vill Gleck fir daei Geburtsdaag!
    Mandarin qu ni sheng er kuai le
    Macedonian Sreken roden den!
    Malaysian Selamat Hari Jadi!
    Maltese Nifrahlek ghal gheluq sninek!
    Mongolian Torson odriin mend hurgee!
    Navajo bil hoozho bi’dizhchi-neeji’ ‘aneilkaah!
    Nepali Janma dhin ko Subha kamana!
    Norwegian Gratulerer med dagen!
    Pashtun (Afghanistan) Padayish rawaz day unbaraksha!
    Persian Tavalodet Mobarak!
    Polish Wszystkiego Najlepszego!
    Portuguese(Brazil) Parabens pelo seu aniversario!
    Portuguese Feliz Aniversario! or Parabens!
    Punjabi (India) Janam din diyan wadhayian!
    Romanian La Multi Ani!
    Russian S dniom razhdjenia!
    Samoan Manuia lou aso fanau!
    Serbian Srecan Rodjendan!
    Slovak Vsetko najlepsie k narodeninam!
    Slovene Vse najboljse za rojstni dan!
    Spanish Feliz Cumpleaños!
    Sri Lankan Suba Upan dinayak vewa!
    Sundanese Wilujeng Tepang Taun!
    Surinam Mi fresteri ju!
    Swahili Hongera! or Heri ya Siku kuu!
    Swedish Grattis på födelsedagen
    Taiwanese San leaz quiet lo!
    Thai Suk San Wan Keut!
    Tibetan Droonkher Tashi Delek!
    Turkish Dogum gunun kutlu olsun!
    Ukrainian Mnohiya lita!
    Vietnamese Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat!
    Welsh Penblwydd Hapus i Chi!
    Yiddish A Freilekhn Gebortstog!
    Zulu Ilanga elimndandi kuwe!

12. Comment by bunessa — April 8, 2009 @ 3:45 pm

the only time i eat congee….is when i’m sick.. i don’t like congee too much =[
    just once in a blue moon i feel like eating congee and get my mummie to make it
    do you have any hints on how to make it not stick to the pot?

13. Comment by Stephanie — April 9, 2009 @ 5:37 am

Love congee when I’m sick or not. Soupy and so good.