Crabs

Posted by mamabok | Chinese,Food Review,Seafood | Tuesday 28 April 2009 12:53 pm

You gotta love it.. when you are in good terms with the Chinese restaurant owners..  :)  he even gives 10% discount to my friends.. who dine there.  Donch believe me.. ??? ask Lynette.. hehe!!!

Well, Mr Choo from the chinese restaurant called up one day if i wanted some ginger/spring onion crabs… and who refuses food right..?  So I said yes lah..!!!  little did i know he cooked a box of crabs for me.. as you can see .. it was a lot.. and the “ang moh” and the brat donch eat crabs.. so i got to eat it all lah.

Yummy..! yummy..!! “ang moh” asked me.. how come I’m eating the shell.. muahahahhaha!!! the shell is the best part as we all know.. look at all the roes..!!woohoo..!!! the crab was great.. but a wee bit salty.. and by the time i brought them home.. it was kinda fishy smelling.  And like all chinese migrated to “ang moh” land.. we do what we know best – we improvised.

I wanted to use the crab paste that Alice sent to me.. but that would be kinda a waste .. so instead i used the sambal paste that Alice sent .. by Prima Taste too.. but in a smaller package version .. and not the box ones.  So i fried up the sambal first.. and then put the crabs into it.. and here i have a decent pot of crab .. for a few more meals.   Yummy..!!!  thanks to Mr Choo.. this is the first time.. i’ve had crabs.. since coming to Canada.. and I just made him some red bean soup today.

1. Comment by Kammy — April 28, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

Both look very delicious….you’re awesome to split the crabs into 2 flavours. Ha!

2. Comment by cs — April 28, 2009 @ 2:57 pm

Those crabs look good and make me want to eat some now. My two favorite crab dishes are dry instead of wet (sauce. One is with onions, green & red chili peppers, ground pork, vermecelli and fried it. The other one is salty duck egg yolk with crab. Delicious!!!!

3. Comment by S.S — April 28, 2009 @ 3:55 pm

wow!! looks so good!

4. Comment by Lychee — April 28, 2009 @ 8:24 pm

Spring onion crab is so nice, now I really want some…with noodles too~!

5. Comment by tsuchiyama — April 28, 2009 @ 11:19 pm

Oh, MB you are such a awesome chef…The crab dish looks abosolutely delicious. I begin to miss the chilli crab from Singapore liao. I love Long Beach chilli crabs. Mama Bok, enjoy the dish with your family. Have a nice day, MB.

6. Comment by Interdance — April 28, 2009 @ 11:36 pm

Hi MB,
    The dishes look so yummy. You are indeed a smart lady! =) and a awesome cook. I just hope one day I will be able to cook like you.

Update–I’m planning to enroll in cooking classes during the summer months. My first class will be Thai Cooking. Hopefully I do not burn the teacher’s kitchen.

-Interdance

7. Comment by Lina — April 29, 2009 @ 12:18 am

Whoooh Crabs! I love seafood. Crab cannot escape..lol

MB, as mentioned, the way u improvise it with sambal is nicer in presentation then what you packed back :-P

Tsuchiyama, another good place to go for Chilli Crabs is ‘No Signboard’. It’s highly recommended by food critics. Their Chilli gravy used is awesome especially with bread or fresh loaf!

Yay, INTERDANCE enrolled in cooking class! Good news indeed :-P No worries, you wont burnt down the kitchen, they’ll be fire extinguisher in the kitchen for standby..lol..(kidding, no offense yeah!)

8. Comment by Shannon — April 29, 2009 @ 12:40 am

WOAH – that crab looks delicious!!!!!

9. Comment by shirleyloo — April 29, 2009 @ 3:51 am

hmm, crab is my fav too!! Fans shuld try out salted egg yolk with crabs – FANTASTIC!! CS, we havin the same tastebud huh? MB, if I’ve known u earlier, I would be able to send u all stuff from Prima Taste hehe…coz I used to work with them. ;-)

10. Comment by winnie — April 29, 2009 @ 5:46 am

i love crabs!!!yummy

11. Comment by Cass — April 29, 2009 @ 6:20 am

Hi MB! Oh my goodness, I could eat all that crab myself in one sitting! Just have TVB series ready and I will sit in front of the TV and devour the crab! It looks so good, especially after you added the sauce to it!

12. Comment by Linh — April 29, 2009 @ 6:59 am

wow that looks delicious. Im also chinese and i would like to know how to cook those plates. I think im gonna go eat in the chinatown. The problem is that not the saison for crabs… $$$ :( And my boyfriend likes seafood a lots so we always fighting for who is gonna eat the crab eggs. So ur lucky cuz u got all for urself. ok see ya next time. Ps if u know a good recipe chinese book or only a recipe tell me.

13. Comment by lynette — April 29, 2009 @ 9:51 am

Mr. Choo and family are wonderful people. Just like you Mamabok and your family. I couldn’t ask for better friends. :)

14. Comment by Rose — April 29, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

Those crabs look so delicious, I just wish i can eat crabs

15. Comment by Charming — April 29, 2009 @ 9:29 pm

Yummilicious crab! You’re lucky to have Mr Choo cook and supply you with crabs. The one with the sambals looks good too!

16. Comment by xbabiex — May 2, 2009 @ 2:33 am

mmm looks so GOOD! :)

17. Comment by ilovetvb — May 5, 2009 @ 1:04 am

yum! looks good to me. Actually cooking crab is not so difficult, the prep work is the hard part. I am afraid that the crab will hurt me. I really find it difficult to pull the claws off the crabs. I usually have my hubby kill it and then I clean it. I love to steam crabs. I usually put hor fun on the bottom and place the crabs on top with minced garlic and scallion. It is really delicious.