Guess What Mr Choo Cooked

Posted by mamabok | Awesome,Chinese,Food From Home | Thursday 21 May 2009 6:06 pm

I went over to Mr Choo’s to give him two bowls of Longan and Red date soup .. and guess what he gave me in return..?? this is just one of the things I had today from Mr Choo & his wife Yen.

I haven’t ate this for 9 yrs now..  i had dried scallops with my soup.. when i first arrived..  because my g/f Coco  – sent some to me.. via courier… that lasted me for years .. and when I finally finished it.. she tried to send some more.. but was stopped by custom.. because of the SARs scare.   There was only one piece.. and i’m gonna try hussle Mr Choo  .. and buy them from him.. so that i can make soup with them too.

Can you guess what this is..??

Yes.. it was Ho Si .. !!! you all so smart one.. !!! cannot bluff you .. ;)  and some kinda melon soup.  I really liked it.

1. Comment by ilovetvb — May 21, 2009 @ 6:18 pm

MB, that looks like dried oysters. Yum! I love oysters – any way it is prepared. U r so lucky to have Mr. Choo (envy). He makes u such yummy food. The soup looks yummy. Is it Winter Melon soup? Dried oysters are good in soup. It helps cool the body. Dried Scallops makes soup super sweet. I like to put them in chicken soup.

Longan and red date soup…what a coincidence. I have been making that everyday for my son. He was recently diagnosed with low iron anemia. It scared me so much. It was due to heavy nose bleeds. He recently had a lot of nose bleed – that lasted a long time (a couple of times for half an hour – non stop) I was so worry that I took him to a doctor – that when I found out. Now the doctor gives him iron supplements, but that can cause constipation. So I try to make soup for him so that his iron level can get back to normal. Don’t want him to depend on the iron supplements.
    Red date and black date is good for producing more red blood cells. The logan is for the sweet taste. I hope it will help him.

2. Comment by fiona — May 21, 2009 @ 6:24 pm

It’s dried oyster. Am I right?

3. Comment by Pandora — May 21, 2009 @ 6:36 pm

I agreed – it looks like oysters

4. Comment by Mei — May 21, 2009 @ 6:45 pm

Yeah I think its dried oyster too. I’m craving for them and since we’re not allowed to bring them over here… I’ve tried having fresh oysters (raw ones), yuck!
    ilovetvb, I have a friend who’s son has constant nose bleeds for unknown reasons… Try a spinach soup, nuts, red meat and also liver soup! They are full of iron.

5. Comment by Lina — May 21, 2009 @ 10:29 pm

This is ‘HOU SI’. Guess correct got prize or not, MB? :-P N this is ‘lou wong kua tong’ right?

Belle, my son was prone to nose bleed when he was young till he reaches age 15. It’ll gradually out grew it. It started when he was around 1 yr plus, woke up, cried n when we switched on the lights to check on him, OMG, i saw blood all over his face, mini bolster, bed sheets, his pyjamas! Didnt know it was nose bleeding n he cried non stop, without 2nd thoughts, we went straight to Gleneagles Hospital. Doc n nurses was grinning after checking on him n said, ah, young parents, inexperience, Nose bleeding is very common wor. Gooshh…so ‘pai sei’ so ‘malu’ so embarrass! What u shd do if the next time he has nose bleed again, ask him to pinch hard on his nose n breathe through his mouth. Sit upright straight. NEVER tilt his head backwards or lay on the bed. Reason:- blood will flow backwards n may cause further injury. After 5-10 mins, nose bleed will stop eventually. Hope this info helps in one way or another

6. Comment by keen — May 22, 2009 @ 5:13 am

MB,I think it is Hou Si, toong kua red dates soup! Wow ..must be yummy!

Lina, thanks for advice on nose bleeding. Must be a scary experience for u then!

7. Comment by tsuchiyama — May 22, 2009 @ 7:47 am

MB my mum sells hou si too.It is not possible to bring in to Japan.If not I can send a pack to you in future. Japan Immigration is very strict(especially to chinese dried food or chinese medicine herbs etc). Parcel sent over by my mummy was often opened up by the customs , checked and at times confiscated.

8. Comment by ilovetvb — May 22, 2009 @ 8:45 am

Lina, thanks for the tips. My son has allergies and I think that triggers the nose bleed. He has always had a lot of nose bleeds. I have taken him to see several nose doctors. They even quarterized both his nose. In the beginning it got better, but recently it started again and even got worst. The last time I just take him to a regular doctor because he felt light headed and that is when he was diagnosed with anemia. He is very experienced in stopping his nose bleeds, but even when he pinched his nose it did not help stop it. But after taking the iron supplement, his nose bleed decreased. He occasionally get one that last max 5 mins. So I hope it is getting better. Anyway, thanks for everything.

9. Comment by Lina — May 22, 2009 @ 9:25 am

Showed this pics to my hubby. He said it could be mini dried abalone wor… :-P

Lina

10. Comment by Pat — May 22, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

this shows how much i know about chinese cooking… i thought it was snail…
    lina, thks for the great tip, my boy of 7 has nosebleeding pretty often and every now and then i still make him tilt his head back, so now i know…

11. Comment by snow — May 22, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

looks like ‘hou si’ to me. Is that correct MB?

12. Comment by bunessa — May 22, 2009 @ 10:44 pm

wow!! mr.choo has a lot of good food!!
    this is crazy!!
    it looks so good!!

13. Comment by cutiemonkie — May 23, 2009 @ 1:43 am

The melon looks like winter melon (dong kuwa), like the stuff from tvb show winter melon tale! kekeke!
    I watch too much shows…

14. Comment by Pandora — May 23, 2009 @ 2:36 am

oh… my mommy always make me the wintermelon soup. so yummy

15. Comment by shirleyloo — May 25, 2009 @ 3:19 am

hmm…hou si not really my fav (coz of the smell).. same goes to mussels. ilovetvb, I’m also having sum kinda anaemia as well.. due to not enuf blood. Red dates soup & iron supplements shall help… but my sister used to have bleeding nose around 20+ years old; which we thought was because of body heat lah… scary. Lucky now no more oredy.

Lina, if I were u also I would freak out leh..so young baby can have bleeding nose woh… of coz will worry lah hor..