“Tai Kau Meen” From Barb

Posted by mamabok | Around The World,Chinese,Food From Home,Meet Up With | Monday 18 May 2009 4:53 pm

Barb and I go a long way.  We met as blogging mummies doing online work with several companies. – Barb has several blogs and one of them is www.chumseyashley.info, this blog talks about her bringing up her only daughter – Ashley.  Barb is generous and genuine.. and never judge me .. but is always supportive.  She sends me plenty of food from home too.. and she has a very lovely daughter.. who does some modeling work for a local magazine/mall. So now.. Barb is actually a “xing ma”.  If you can’t get ahold of me or Lina.. the next person you should try is Barb.  Or better yet, you can hop over her blog .. and say hi.

Anyhow.. this is Barb’s contribution .. for sharing food around the world with everyone else.  Thanks Barb… you are a sport.  And I love this kueh too.. i prefer peanuts in them.. and yes.. you have to eat them piping hot.   I think they are like $1.20 a piece .. when i left home for Canada.. how much is it now..??

Hey Jan,

I’m participating in the fun Share Your Food post.  Attached is a photo of “Tai Kau Meen” also known as Chinese pancake or Apom Balik in Bahasa Malaysia :) (Sorry the photo is not very clear)  I bought it from the pasar malam last thursday.  It’s good to eat when it’s piping hot.  The tai kau meen is filled with peanuts, sugar, margarine and corns.  Some people would put kaya spread on them instead of margarine. A bit too sweet for me though.

Barb

New Breath Of Love – Raymond Lam Is In It

Rosy Business Ep 11  – 14 (Synopsis Only)

1. Comment by ilovetvb — May 18, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

I have never tried this b4, but it looks good. I love pancakes/crepes with filling in it. I love the crepes with durian. It is so yummy. I miss eating that.

2. Comment by Lina — May 18, 2009 @ 9:33 pm

Hey Mb n Barb, is this ‘man sou ko’ (canto)/ mang jiang kueh (hokkien)? Looks like it eh? Whenever we walked passed such stalls, my hubby will be very naughty, he’ll tell son to quickly walk pass this stall coz he said i cannot eat this or else after eating, i’ll be more ‘mang chang’ wor…hehehe

3. Comment by keen — May 19, 2009 @ 7:40 am

Hi Barb!

I love Mang jiang kueh! The original version. Use to buy from our pasar malam too in KL.

Lina, how r you??… Greetings from Birmingham. So good to hear u’ve recovered. Take care and drink more water.

Hi MB I love the pic of Chloe eating the Strawberry. Yummy!! Was eating a lot of fresh strawberries in Switzerland last 2 days. It is so cheap and is sweet too.

4. Comment by keen — May 19, 2009 @ 7:43 am

Hi Barb!

I love Mang jiang kueh! The original version. Use to buy from our pasar malam in KL.

Lina, how r you??… Greetings from Birmingham. So good to hear you’ve recovered. Take care and drink more water.

5. Comment by tsuchiyama — May 19, 2009 @ 8:31 am

Thanks for sharing, Barb.
    Lina, is this the peanut cake which I have mentioned to you before. .So the name is mang chang ko.(canto)????
    Wow Lau, no wonder I so mang chang,. I always eat mang chang ko in singapore leh.Can understand my chim singlish or not??Recently I don`t know why I could recall many many chim chim singlish, hokkien, malay etc. Like play back leh. O.K, must makan liao.This time not bread lah. Everyday eat bread, where got da han. ja ne. (I`m going to teach you one jap short word, ja ne = bye, see u again(causual way- use only with close friends).)

6. Comment by seam — May 19, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

As much as I’m missing this ‘kueh’ but very much pinning for the ‘crab’ porridge lol. Wish I am in Canada sometimes instead of UK but then, grass always seem to be greener on the other side. Thanks for the memories. Ate loads of the ‘kueh’ when I was growing up. My next trip back home to M’sia is in 2010. Long wait …

7. Comment by Mei — May 19, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

Hm, never seen these before! I’ll have to look around all those Chinese bakeries…

Barb, I will have a look on your blog soon! (If I can find it!)

8. Comment by Mei — May 19, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

BTW, welcome back Lina!!!

9. Comment by Lina — May 19, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

Hey CY, i’m fine, thx! Fully charged..can walk, jump n run already .. lol. Rcved ur email. Re:- RB in “PC” at Rachel, i’ll check with MB n get back to u asap. I did mentioned to her before you left for your trip.

Wei Jo, so this is the one u like huh? Was wondering what was it at first. Too bad, this i cant ship over liao, if only it is like cookies, dry form of peanuts snacks. Shipping over is a breeze whereas this must eat it hot, darn shiok i tell u…hehehe (lou hou shui) already right? Come over this yr end lah, i know of one stall that sells very nice ‘mang chang kueh’, we’ll get ‘mang chang’ 2gther yeah :-P

Hi Mei, thx! Well now that’s why can make so much ‘noise’ :-P Re your comments on FB, my sparky is not ‘mean’ yeah, woken her from her sleep on the sofa .. ha n Re Chinese Restaurant in London Chinatown, i didnt dine there, just took pic coz i was told service is ‘sux’ n waiters there are rather snob, is that true?

10. Comment by bunessa — May 19, 2009 @ 9:55 pm

It looks like pancake!! with stuffing in the middle!
    looks yummy!!

peanut and corn for the filling? never tried that beforeee
    man… i wanna try!!

ps. thank you for sharing barb!!

11. Comment by shirleyloo — May 20, 2009 @ 12:52 am

haha..so many names for this kueh hor… can I add another 1? back in my hometown we called it ‘meen fun kueh’ haha.. Anyway, there’s another which is thinner its skin..I prefer that 1 than this 1 coz dont quite like the thick skin hoho… of coz more peanut n corn will be great … thanks for sharing Barb … ;-)

12. Comment by Big Pumpkin — May 20, 2009 @ 6:16 am

Gosh, this is my absolute favourite! Shit, now I’m craving this….where can I find this on a Wednesday nite??? Where is there a pasar malam on a Wednesday nite???

13. Comment by Mei — May 20, 2009 @ 8:50 am

Hahah Lina. What I meant by “mean” was by the way he looked. Like “Don’t do that, or I will do something to you”. I do that look sometimes when I’m annoyed. :)
    And yeah, that London restaurant is known for their bad service (but when I go, it’s not too bad), but the food is really good. They serve them on smaller plates though.:( The best place to go is New World “Sun Sai Guy”(really expensive!), Young Cheung “Yeung Sing”, Tai Ka Lok.. There are some new ones I’ve never been to but look reasonable.

14. Comment by Yin — May 22, 2009 @ 10:08 am

I was born in Ipoh and immigrated to the US 18 years ago. I miss Malaysian food a lot especially Tai Kau Meen a lot.