Shark’s Fin Anyone?

Posted by mamabok | Amusing/Bizarre,Canadian,My Musing,Useful Links | Tuesday 18 August 2009 12:41 pm

We have our yearly Shark Scramble last week here in our town.  For those who are not aware of this, we are a fishing town here and one donch need no medical exam life insurance to be a fishermen here. Yes..! and everyone wants to be a fishermen .. because you only work so many months.. and then one can go on unemployment for at least half a year just doing nothing.. or some would work under the table.

So if you are wondering why your bowl of shark’s fin are so expensive.. you can see that the shark has very small fins, so you ain’t gonna go very far killing one shark.  Anyhow.. the shark scramble is where ppl who are interested in going out into the sea and catching the biggest shark.  This year.. i think the winner of Shark Fest came back with a 300 and something pound.

I haven’t eaten Shark’s Fin for the last 9 yrs.. and boy …!! do i missed it.. but every year i’m reminded.. how cruel .. these sharks are sometimes killed.. and that makes me wanna eat them less and less.  What about you ..??

Every year.. they have students from the fishery dept .. taking some statistic about the sharks.. measuring their teeth.. and cutting out their tummy to see what they had eaten.. and stuff.. you know.. the yakkie stuff.

These sharks are so small.. they are not even worth weighing in.. you can see that this is one of the boats that went out .. a few days ago.. for the contest.  What does one win..?? during the Shark Scramble..?? I think the first prize is $5000 and 2nd prize is $2500 and the 3rd prize is $1000.

1. Comment by Mei — August 19, 2009 @ 2:06 pm

Woah, those pics look so cruel! I don’t think I could eat a shark.

2. Comment by snow — August 19, 2009 @ 7:16 pm

My friends who works as a chef says that most restaurants soak the shark fins in oil to that they will expand. Eating shark fins is not only cruel but also akin to taking in bowls of oil at 1 go

3. Comment by jen — August 19, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

woah… the prizes are pretty bigggg.

4. Comment by Lina — August 19, 2009 @ 9:30 pm

It’s indeed very cruel. I love sharks fin soup previously n still do but just simply dont have the heart to place order for this dish whenever we’re out for dining

5. Comment by uncle — August 19, 2009 @ 10:52 pm

I proposed you all eat vagetarian fin, taste the same and save our planet!

6. Comment by Tsuchiyama — August 20, 2009 @ 1:39 am

Japan is an island and fish, seafood etc had became a part of our eating culture. Every countries, every races have their own eating habits. so eating sharks was just a nature course and habits in humans.

7. Comment by keen — August 20, 2009 @ 4:39 am

Sharks fins soup in crab meat used to be my family’s favourite dish, but not anymore. Instead it had been replaced by the vegetarian type. It taste almost the same.

8. Comment by fiona — August 20, 2009 @ 2:23 pm

such cruelty to shark. Unfortunately, when there’s demand people will do anything to supply the demand. Shark fin soup is mine favorite also.

9. Comment by ilovetvb — August 20, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

It may be hard to believe, but I actually prefer to eat the “woon zai chi” from the street hawkers in Hong Kong. A little bowl of fake shark fin soup is delicious. It is yummy. I really missed that! So you don’t have to be so cruel to kill the sharks to get a good bowl of soup.

10. Comment by shirleyloo — August 21, 2009 @ 1:36 am

really cruel lah…I’ve stop eating shark’s fin since the last time I saw the adv by WWF about saving animals n planet …

11. Comment by Jen — September 5, 2009 @ 3:58 pm

I’ve seen pics like this before..I haven’t eaten shark fin in a very long time =P