Octopus aka Sotong

Posted by mamabok | Amusing/Bizarre,Frozen Food,Seafood | Tuesday 27 October 2009 12:44 pm

octopus

Being so used to fresh food from home.. i cannot help … even after being in Canada for so long.. to look at the fresh food counter everytime i am in the grocery store.  I just love to see if there are any new and good stuff.  For those who are not aware of this.. a small piece of salmon can cost one $4.49 + taxes.. but frozen scallops can be as little as $6.50 for a pound.  Ironic right..?  yup..!

octupus1

Now i was wondering.. if i bought this octopus.. what am i gonna do with it..?? hahahhaha!!!  usually hor.. we eat sotong .. by making calamari outta it.. or sambal sotong on hot plate at our local hawker center right..??  but you know lah..  the ang mohs not very much into sotong .. and if i eat i want it to be with sambal.  So pray tell.

1. Comment by washingeyes — October 28, 2009 @ 7:22 pm

coat with curry powder and lime juice, little salt, and grill in oven. yum yum

2. Comment by whoisbaby — October 28, 2009 @ 8:02 pm

i have a lot of gwai loh friends whom are not into sotong … even my hubby is not into it … he doesn’t like the tentacle parts (which I love).

3. Comment by Lina — October 28, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

SOTONG!! Hmmmmmmm …

4. Comment by kantel — October 29, 2009 @ 2:31 pm

I wonder how it tastes like…

5. Comment by Mei — October 29, 2009 @ 7:31 pm

That octopus looks scary… Never cooked it before… Probably cook it like you would with squid?

6. Comment by keen — October 30, 2009 @ 2:10 am

I think can deep fried with tempura flour. Pls make sure that the Octopus is dried properly with a kitchen towel before frying. Japanese tempura flour will make the Octopus crispy. Eat with maggie chillie sauce. It is yummy as a finger food.

7. Comment by Anita — October 30, 2009 @ 11:40 am

Whoa, that’s the first time ever I’ve seen a live octopus like that! I love octopus though, actually i love all seafood!! :D

8. Comment by Tiffany T. — October 30, 2009 @ 11:46 pm

oh snap…never seen one like that before…cool…

9. Comment by Uj — October 31, 2009 @ 12:22 am

i only know got shashimi style octopus in Japan thru documentaries :) oh ya, and also those baby octopus in jap restaurants :)

10. Comment by SWong — December 23, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

love the sotong, I alway used it to make sotong cake. Minced it and add flavour and flour then deep fried. yummy.