Creme Brulee

Posted by mamabok | Awesome,Cakes/Desserts,Western | Tuesday 24 November 2009 9:20 pm

creme1

I really love going grocery shopping – truth be told,  i just love looking at different kinda food.. and different kinda ingredients.  I have always been this way.. especially if i was traveling.  But you and I know that supermarkets can be a fascinating place to be .. not only for kids.. but for adults.. especially for someone who loves food.

I haven’t had a good creme brulee for a long, long time.  The last time i had one was when i was at the Marco Polo Hotel at the Brasserie in Hong Kong.  But my favorite is still the ones from the Shangri-la Hotel in Singapore.. at the Coffee Garden.  I used to drive all the way there just to buy fresh creme brulee for lunch.  My bosses used to think i was crazy.. muahhaa!!

creme

I’m sure if i looked hard enough here in Canada.. someone could probably make some good creme brulee  – the last time i had mine here in this town was from Chez Bruno and he charged like $10 a dessert – it was a special menu thing.. not done everyday .. at that time.  But i was very disappointed with his creme brulee because it was nothing like the ones I’ve eaten before – not even the ones from Paris – Le Terrazze or Le Vin Sobre ( a budget cafe).

So when i saw these at the local supermarket .. i had to try it.. and although i still needed to do some work and put it into the conventional oven for 5 – 8 mins.. it was worth it.. and it only cost $4.  So how does it taste.. ?? not bad.. not bad.. although mass produce  ,  i donch mind it at all.  So for those in Canada.. you can find this at Superstore.  I don’t know if it is seasonal or not..  but it’s there right now.

1. Comment by Frances — November 27, 2009 @ 5:44 pm

We also have similar kind of packages of creme brulee at “Trader Joe’s”
    neighborhood grocery store. It’s also priced at around $4 dollars. It looks yummy..! :)

2. Comment by Jane — November 28, 2009 @ 12:38 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had one of these before.

3. Comment by bargainermom — November 29, 2009 @ 3:27 pm

Creme Brulee is my hubby’s favourite dessert. He tried to hint to get me to make it…but I figured it was a lot of work n got lazy …hehehe…he even bought me a torch for it…i really need to try, eh?

4. Comment by jess — December 4, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

i love PC selections. they have become my favorite brand to look into when i want something simple and fast. the PC creme brulee isn’t too shabby for its price. by the way, i read your blog off and on. your food pictures kept me coming back especially when i was homesick in Singapore. keep up the good work! :)

5. Comment by Tari — December 6, 2009 @ 12:11 am

If you come to Montreal, try to go to this restaurant: http://www.nonya.ca/
    The thing is they don’t make creme brulee every day, and they only made a few. So, you want to call them first to make sure they reserve it for you. The unique of this dessert is that they use ‘pandan’ flavor instead of vanilla.

6. Comment by CT — December 15, 2009 @ 10:15 am

I just tried these 2 nights ago. They are not bad for the price and the convenience. I couldn’t seem to get that crunchy caramelize sugar layer on top of the custard though (I used the oven since I didn’t have a torch…maybe that would have made the difference). Happy that I get to reuse the ramekins the creme brulee’s came in though : ).

7. Comment by Off-need — December 21, 2009 @ 10:03 pm

Just looking at it I hungry.
    A homemade Creme Brulee is always the best.