Red Bean With Sago & White Nut

Posted by mamabok | Cakes/Desserts,Chinese,Food From Home,Useful Links | Tuesday 17 November 2009 1:36 pm

IMG_7455

It’s getting colder every day and it will be colder from now on and i find comfort in a bowl of red bean with white nut and some sago .. to give the red bean soup some body.  My mother used to cook this soup for us.. but without the sago.. so it is a very thin soup.. and i didn’t really liked it then.  I don’t use much sugar in mine … because i’m diabetic and since no one drinks the dessert or eat them.. i have a whole pot to myself.  And by the way.. many of you have asked what kind of  digital cameras i used for my photo taking for the food i post up .. and some wonder if i have a good cell phone that does the picture .. since i need to whip it out wherever i am.

IMG_7454

Truth be told even before the food blog .. i take pictures of everything.  I think it has to do with traveling a lot .. before coming to Canada.  And I no shame oneeee.. hhahahaha!!  i just do whatever i think i want.. muahhahaha!!!   but yes.. i used a Canon SD 1100 – that the “ang moh” got from his airmiles. I also like Chng Teng for dessert and bor bor cha char .. and the jelly thingie too.. but of course..  cannot get here lah.. so beggars can’t be choosers right..??  so i just cook whatever i can find ingredients for.  Oh ..!! and i missed tau huay most..!!  and i would just about pay anything for a bowl of tau huay.

1. Comment by jen — November 18, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

these desert looks good. it reminds me of the deserts from phoenix. yum!

2. Comment by Pandora — November 18, 2009 @ 6:05 pm

I usually just drink the soup and leave the red beans lol

3. Comment by Princess — November 18, 2009 @ 7:49 pm

red bean soup is so good and healthy. By the way, what is white nut you mentioned in your red bean soup?

4. Comment by Lina — November 18, 2009 @ 9:31 pm

Eh Jan, try Green Bean soup next time round :-P Or better still, ‘hak lau mai chok’ put in some sago…yummy :-)

5. Comment by Charmaine — November 19, 2009 @ 7:34 am

Cold weather now… nice to have ‘tong sui’.

6. Comment by Shannen — November 19, 2009 @ 9:59 am

What is white nut?

7. Comment by Michele — November 19, 2009 @ 12:01 pm

YUM, that is good stuff! But I agree with Lina, green bean soup is just as good. I like mine cold though.

8. Comment by soofen — November 19, 2009 @ 3:55 pm

super red bean soup~haven’t had my dinner and when I see the images of the red bean soup, strangely I felt as if I am having it… nice and warm

9. Comment by kokoro — November 19, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

My favourite red bean soup! Yummy! MB, do you add in a one or two slices of dried mandarin peel to your pot of red been soup?

10. Comment by ilovetvb — November 19, 2009 @ 6:24 pm

I like to mix red bean with green bean and a little bit of rice and a piece of tangerine peel. I do not like to add a lot of brown sugar to it. I think I will make some tonight.

11. Comment by Frances — November 19, 2009 @ 8:19 pm

It is so wonderful to enjoy a bowl of ‘tong sui’ after a full meal. I love both red bean & mung bean dessert soup. :)))

12. Comment by Linda — November 20, 2009 @ 7:38 am

mmmm yummy yummy as my daughter would say, think I will make some too!

13. Comment by yan — November 20, 2009 @ 4:25 pm

yummy nice food

14. Comment by tabochino — November 20, 2009 @ 10:24 pm

yum yum..

15. Comment by tinki — November 20, 2009 @ 10:26 pm

I love the red bean dessert but only the liquid and not the left over beans. the picture looks good. It’s making me want some and it’s good for womens health (blood Flow). -Tinki

16. Comment by snow — November 21, 2009 @ 10:37 am

yum….i noemally ,ix my red bean with ‘hak lor mai’ to make it thick.

17. Comment by keen — November 22, 2009 @ 10:11 pm

Red bean and green beans are nice but once in a while I mix the 2 beans and use “gula Melaka” instead of sugar. It is yummy too!