Soup Ingredients From Singapore

Posted by mamabok | Awesome,Chinese,Food Review,Meet Up With,My Musing,Slow Cooking | Friday 19 February 2010 11:09 pm

soupfromlina

During Christmas – Lina – Chloe’s Kai Mah from Singapore – sent me these ingredients for my soup – because she knows that I can’t get some of them here.  So she packed carefully dried oysters and dried scallops and mailed them so generously to me.  I didn’t get a chance to make any soup till this week – because i couldn’t get any lotus roots from this small town.  But Mr R – was so kind – to pick it up for me.. when he was in the city this week – so I hurriedly boiled soup in my slow cooker in the morning and cooked some rice for dinner for Chloe and I.

soupfromlina1

Chloe loves the soup and ate 2 dinners with the soup.  I usually put in rice and soup for her and fried some luncheon meat to entice her to eat.  I was heavy handed with my dried oysters this time.. so was afraid she won’t drink it.  The day that i boiled the soup was a very, very cold day – we had so much snow.. PB and I spent hours shoveling ourselves outtta the driveway that morning.  School were closed and we only opened store at 1pm, therefore it was quite comforting .. to come home to a boil of soup from home.  Thanks again .. Lina..! your generosity warms not only our heart but our tummy.

1. Comment by Lina — February 24, 2010 @ 5:13 am

U’re most welcome Jan. Let me know when stock is low yeah :-P

2. Comment by Margo — February 24, 2010 @ 8:25 am

The soup looks delicious! I have always put in dried octopus but will try it with dried oysters next time as I have just bought some on my visit home to Singapore last month.

3. Comment by Daisy — February 24, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

Hmmm… looks yummy!

4. Comment by Alice Kwek — February 25, 2010 @ 10:52 am

Lotus root is my family’s fav soup too! You could try the ABC soup which my boys love. You need 1 carrot, 1 corn, 2 tomatoes, 2 big onions, 6 dried mushrooms, 2 sticks of celery (optional) and 2/3 potatoes plus red dates, dried scallops, you could use chicken or pork ribs.

5. Comment by frances — February 25, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

Oh my that bowl of soup just makes me salivate. Must try and make some myself! :)

6. Comment by kokoro — February 27, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

That is my favourite ‘lor for tong’, MB. Looking at the pictures above reminds me that it has been a long time since I boiled this soup for my family. I must make a pot this weekend.