ABC Soup

Posted by mamabok | Chinese,Cooking,My Musing,Slow Cooking | Tuesday 29 June 2010 10:59 am

abcsoup

So I took Wenn from UK advise that ABC soup is good for the Chloe a few weeks ago, when she was ill and plus i can find the ingredients easily here too – so why not.  ABC soup consist of some corn on the cob, potatoes, tomatoes, onions and carrots – of course you need some pork too.  So happily ever after – i went on my cooking adventure.

abcsoup1

How hard can this be right?  so i waited for 4 hrs – slow cooked it – and the soup looked awesome but didn’t taste as good as i wanted it to.  So i checked with Wenn – and apparently i did have everything needed in the soup – and she didn’t know what went wrong.  I haven’t tried the soup again – but if anyone can enlighten me – that would be great.  Maybe, not enough tomatoes..??  or potatoes..??  did i shake some salt into it..?? yes – some not too much  though – coz’ i don’t like taking salt in our food.  Pray share eh.

1. Comment by MeiPY — June 30, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

Probably not enough tomatoes. How much pork did you put in? Stick a few raw spare ribs if you can get them.

2. Comment by Chef Cindy — June 30, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

I know wat’s missing, ribs celery and parsley stalks, add a lil peppercorns ( preferably white) n when it’s time to serve add scallions. =)

3. Comment by Chef Cindy — June 30, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

o yeah i 4got carrots too

4. Comment by Charmaine — July 1, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I find a pinch of salt does enhance the flavour of the soup. Pork ribs also adds sweetness to the soup.

5. Comment by chriatina — July 1, 2010 @ 6:38 am

Maybe you can slice those corns into another half again to make it taste better. That’s what i did.

6. Comment by Princess — July 1, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

simply enough this recipe, I will try this also. Just curious why it’s called ABC soup?

7. Comment by snow — July 1, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

my mum always pre-boil the meat to remove the excess fat and smell before putting into the soup. She’ll also add some anchovies/dried scallop for flavour

8. Comment by shirley loo — July 3, 2010 @ 11:40 am

hmm..u pretty much had what is needed already (more than needed actually) MB ..for an authentic ABC soup.. coz i dun put corn on cobs normally .. just xtra loads on onion and carrots … potato n tomato lesser. But I must say, tis type of soup (which uses vege all)… definitely wont have enuf taste .. must either add salt (u can opt for sea salt for lesser sodium intake) or hum choy abit.

9. Comment by EC — July 5, 2010 @ 2:45 am

Actually ive been using chicken all these years as chicken works best for ABC soup cos it adds sweetness to the soup. It never fails. Try it.
    Whereas Pork is better for non-sweet tasting soup.

10. Comment by laundryamah — July 15, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

slow cooker was the problem…should just use a normal pot or pressure cooker,,