Hum Choy Tofu Soup

Posted by mamabok | Chinese,Cooking,Food From Home,Slow Cooking | Thursday 24 June 2010 8:56 pm

soup

Hum Choy Tofu Soup is currently one of my favorite soup – why?  because besides the lotus root soup – this one is also pretty successful.  In fact, i think i might just have mastered it – with tomatoes and ginger now added and tofu a well – it’s a perfect soup if only the brat would eat some hum choy.  Hum Choy also known as pickled mustard is a great buy because it is so saltish and can be kept for a long time before you cook them.  I missed Mui Choy Soup and Mui Choy Kau York but alas, I never ever found Mui Choy anywhere around here.

I remember when i was a kid – my mom didn’t like cooking this soup – because she said it was very “leong” – not good for the boys at home.  But here during the summer – i think it’s one of the best kinda soup.  This soup is so cheap and so easy to cook, everyone should have them at least once a month if not more.  What kind of soup would you think is the most nutritious, cheap and easy to cook…??  share your recipe with me can..??

1. Comment by kas — June 24, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

i’ve to try making this soup!;)

2. Comment by Jane — June 25, 2010 @ 10:53 am

i would greatly appreciate it if you would allow me to watch mol with you. its getting too excited!! if you can link me to the pw & website where ican either stream but preferably dl the last two episode would be great! thank you once again!!

3. Comment by BG — June 25, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

looks good

4. Comment by Cass — June 25, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Watercress soup! Not sure if you can get watercress, but if you can, it’s so good and sweet(naturally, no sugar added).

I blanch about a lb. of pork bones to get all the gross stuff out. Then put in pot with cold water. When it starts to boil, I throw in the watercress (usually about 2 lbs or so), carrots, and some red dates. Also, if you can get some dried duck gizzards to add, that’s good, too. It takes maybe 2 hours at the longest. My mom told me not to over boil this type of soup. This soup is also “lerng” and perfect for summer.

5. Comment by snow — June 26, 2010 @ 8:37 am

have u tried old cucumber soup? it’s nice

6. Comment by Daisy — June 27, 2010 @ 12:00 am

This is one of my favorite soup! :)

7. Comment by mary wong — June 27, 2010 @ 10:41 am

Though I used to love this soup but I cannot take ‘hamchoy’ and tomatoes , gives me backache (foongsap nowadays.

I just had this recipe from my cousin in HongKong when I was there last week,she used to boil this very often so I am sharing it with you.

8 pcs of dried fig (mo-fa-goh)
    10 pcs of american ginseng (soak and slice into pieces)
    meat
    duck gizzard dried 2 pieces

Boil 3 hours

8. Comment by shirley loo — July 3, 2010 @ 11:34 am

my favourite soup as well!!! anything tat is salty hahahaa… i really like this soup but can never succeed loh (already tried twice though)…so gave up jor! so, whenever i feel like drinking this soup i jz go down n buy frm stall…

as for my ‘lung sau soup’ is corn soup lah, very easy – corn on cob 1 pc (big), carrots (2 pcs), water chestnut (few), sum kei chi & pork of coz ;-)

9. Comment by shirley loo — July 4, 2010 @ 11:21 am

ohh .. n sorry tat i left out 1 ingredients i.e onions!! …. ;-) can add some dried longan oso if you like..